Current:Home > StocksDancing With the Stars' Samantha Harris Says Producers Wanted Her to Look “Pasty and Pudgy” -Capitatum
Dancing With the Stars' Samantha Harris Says Producers Wanted Her to Look “Pasty and Pudgy”
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 14:37:20
Samantha Harris is waltzing up to the mic.
The model alleged that producers of Dancing With the Stars asked her to gain weight while she hosted the ABC competition show with Tom Bergeron from 2006 to 2009.
"I remember—I won't say who in the network or executive team said this—but I remember I got a note," she said on the Dec. 10 episode of the Sex, Lies, and Spray Tans podcast. "I got actually called into a meeting and they said, ‘So Samantha, going to the next season...' My interpretation was they said to me, ‘You need to be pasty and pudgy.'"
Harris, 50, said the producers wanted her to look different from the dancing pros on the show.
"Really what they said to me was you're getting too tan and too toned," she alleged. "The viewers are confusing you with the dancers because you're too tanned and too toned."
While Harris gives the audience more "credit," she said producers told her that her appearance was "confusing" for viewers "and they need to be able to relate to you as the host being basically a complete dichotomy next to the dancers."
Their request, according to Harris, was to stop self-tanning "and to gain weight."
The former E! News correspondent recalled being "stunned" by the alleged comment because she "took pride" in staying so fit.
However, Harris accepted their feedback, in part because she was pregnant with daughter Josselyn Sydney Hess, now 16.
"Of course, I said, ‘Okay, of course, no problem. I got that covered' because little did they know—it was too early for me to share yet—I was pregnant," she explained. "So I wasn't going to be tanning, because I didn't know what the chemicals were that would be seeping into my body, and I was gonna be gaining weight."
E! News has reached out to ABC for comment but hasn't heard back.
For more behind-the-scenes secrets about DWTS, keep reading to see which celebrities have turned down an invite to compete in the ballroom.
Backstreet Boys Nick Carter finally got to show off his moves in season 21 after years of not being available. "I was approached for like 4 to 5 years in a row," he tells E! News. "Unfortunately, and fortunately, I was on the road with the Backstreet Boys touring and doing album cycles, so now that I have some time, that we're in between, I could take the advantage of doing it."
Bindi Irwin, Australian TV personality and daughter of the late Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin, also joined season 21. However, this wasn't the first time she had the chance to hit the dance floor. "I was approached once before, and I said, oh my goodness!" she tells E! News. "We were in the middle of our Crocodile research trip and it was all happening, so it worked out really well that we were able to join this season, so I'm thrilled to be a part of it."
After her daughter Rumer Willis won season 20 of DWTS, with her mom in the audience at almost every taping, Moore was close to joining the season 21 cast, sources told E! News, but she decided to turn down the offer.
Former champ Alfonso Ribeiro revealed to E! News that the show was interested in having the I Am Cait reality star compete for the trophy but that she said no, choosing not to follow in Kim Kardashian and Rob Kardashian's footsteps.
The Mean Girls star was reportedly approached to do the show back in season 16 but said no.
The controversial celeb chef had previously turned down the chance to dance two times before finally joining the cast in season 21, as E! News exclusively reported.
"They did ask me," she told Extra in 2010, "and I said no."
Though several of her former Saved By the Bell co-stars have competed, Thiessen declined DWTS' offer. "I've been asked a few times," she once told The Huffington Post, "but my response to that is that I am an actor, not a dancer."
Paula Deen isn't the only celeb chef DWTS has courted. Flay said he also turned down the show, with the Food Network star once explaining to Zagat that he didn't want to "be known as that guy on Dancing with the Stars." Another reason? "My wife told me that she would divorce me if I did it." (He and ex-wife Stephanie March have since divorced.)
While sources told E! he said no to DWTS, he said yes to appearing on Celebrity Apprentice.
Though she went on to become a fan-favorite in the ballroom, the now-late actress originally said no to DWTS, tweeting she was "too chicken."
The CBS This Morning host and Oprah Winfrey's BFF turned the the show down not once, not twice, but THREE times. "I think it's good to keep my public humiliation to a minimum," she told US Weekly. "I would never want to embarrass my children ever...or myself! I can't dance."
DWTS producers called in a favor to Alfonso when it came to the NYPD Blue star, asking the former champ to find out if he would join the show. Too bad it didn't work, as Ribeiro told E! News, his pal said, "Eh, I don't dance!"
The Oscar winner has vowed to never do the show. BUT she did admit there is a way they could possibly get her to join. "I'll tell you how I would do Dancing With the Stars," she once told E! News. "If they gave me a million dollars to give to charity...I would only do it if there was a big charity component. "
"No truth to the rumors of me doing Dancing With the Stars," Queen Latifah tweeted back in 2011. "Love the show though so I'll be watching just like you!" However, the Grammy winner has been a guest performer on the show.
veryGood! (1254)
Related
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Elon Musk welcomes third child with Neuralink executive. Here's how many kids he now has.
- College World Series 2024: How to watch Tennessee vs. Texas A&M final game Monday
- For Tesla’s futuristic new Cybertruck, a fourth recall
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Savannah Chrisley Speaks Out After Mom Julie's 7-Year Prison Sentence Is Overturned
- Conservancy that oversees SS United States seeks $500K to help relocate historic ship
- EA Sports College Football 25 toughest place to play rankings: Who is No. 1, in top 25?
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Trump lawyers in classified documents case will ask the judge to suppress evidence from prosecutors
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Elon Musk welcomes third child with Neuralink executive. Here's how many kids he now has.
- Josh Duggar's Appeal in Child Pornography Case Rejected by Supreme Court
- NTSB to discuss cause of fiery Ohio freight train wreck, recommend ways to avert future derailments
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- South Carolina runoff pits Trump candidate against GOP governor’s endorsement
- Alabama town’s first Black mayor, who had been locked out of office, will return under settlement
- Trump lawyers in classified documents case will ask the judge to suppress evidence from prosecutors
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Conservancy that oversees SS United States seeks $500K to help relocate historic ship
Mindy Kaling Announces She Gave Birth to Baby No. 3 in February
Rapper Julio Foolio Dead at 26 After Shooting at His Birthday Celebration
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
The Daily Money: The millionaires next door
What’s causing the devastating flooding in the Midwest?
Jerry Seinfeld mocks latest pro-Palestinian protesters: 'Just gave more money to a Jew'